Other Epicurean Websites
- Epicurean Philosophy Online
- Another comprehensive Epicurean web site, maintained by Erik Anderson.
- El Jardín
- A Spanish-language Epicurean web site maintained by Sergio Sotomayor Prat.
- A French-language Epicurean web site by Mons-Grande Ville.
- La Philosophie d'Epicure
- Another French-language Epicurean web site by Michel Liegeois.
- An Italian-language Epicurean web site maintained by Michele Pinto.
- A German-language Epicurean web page by Michael Kuhn.
- An Epicurean web page in Dutch.
- An Epicurean web page in Portuguese.
- Philodemos Poems
- Poems by the Epicurean Philodemus of Gadara (c. 110–30 B.C.), translated by George Economou.
Research on Ancient Epicureanism
- The Philodemus Project
- University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Classics Department faculty and graduate students are participating in a project to restore the text of various works by the 1rst century B.C. Epicurean philosopher Philodemus. Papyrus rolls containing his writings were carbonized and buried by the famous 79 A.D. eruption of Mt. Vesuvius at the seaside villa of the Pisos in Herculaneum, and were rediscovered in 1752. Recovery of some of the texts has been complicated by the poor condition of the rolls, awaiting the advent of modern technology and some clever deductions about how to put the papyri fragments back together for the present translations to proceed.
- The Philodemus Text and Translation Project
- Another page about the Philodemus Project, this one maintained by the Classics Department at the Austin campus of the University of Texas.
- Restoration of Ancient Portrait Confirmed by New Discovery in France
- UCLA Classics professor Bernard Frischer reconstructed an image of Epicurus that was widely used among his ancient followers in statuary, rings, cups, and mosaics. This press release announces the discovery of a mosaic in France that confirms Dr. Frischer's thesis.
General Philosophy/Classics Websites
- Episteme Links
- Thomas Stone's philosophy links.
- Loeb Classical Library
- The Loeb Classical Library® is an outstanding collection of classical Greek and Latin works with facing-page translations, published by the Harvard University Press.
Other Webpages of Interest
- Vincent Cook
- Contact information and encryption keys for the host of epicurus.net.
- The Friends of Herculaneum Society
- An organization promoting conservation, education, and research at Herculaneum, with a particular interest in the Villa of the Papyri.
- F. Heylighen's summary of modern research on happiness, confirming the existence of satiation effects and the need for social interaction and personal autonomy. Includes links to other happiness-research sites.
- EPL—the Epicurean Philosophy List
- EPL is an e-mail list devoted to the discussion of Epicureanism and related topics, hosted by epicurus.net.
- Il Giardino di Epicuro
- This is an Epicurean e-mail list for Italian speakers, hosted by Michele Pinto.
- Upon the Gardens of Epicurus
- An essay written by William Temple in 1685 that uses gardening as a metaphor for Epicurean wisdom.
- Die Philosophie der Epikureer
- A German-language essay summarizing Epicureanism, written by Felix Müeller (PDF file; requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader).
- The Epicurus Reader, Epicurus, tr. Brad Inwood & L.P. Gerson, Hackett Publishing, 1994.
- De Rerum Natura, Lucretius, tr. W.H.D. Rouse, Loeb Classical Library, 1924.
- Lives of Eminent Philosophers, Diogenes Laertius, tr. R.D. Hicks, Loeb Classical Library, 1925.
- De Finibus, Cicero, tr. H. Rackham, Loeb Classical Library, 1914.
- De Natura Deorum, Cicero, tr. H. Rackham, Loeb Classical Library, 1933.
- On Methods of Inference, Philodemus, tr. P.H. De Lacey & E.A. De Lacey, Bibliopolis, 1978.
- On Frank Criticism, Philodemus, tr. D. Konstan et al., Society of Biblical Literature, 1998.
- On Piety, Philodemus, tr. D. Obbink, Oxford University Press, 1996.
- The Epigrams of Philodemos, Philodemus, tr. D. Sider, Oxford University Press, 1997.
- Philodemos: his twenty-nine extant poems, Philodemus, tr. G. Economou, Perishable Press, 1983.
- Diogenes of Oenoanda: The Fragments, Diogenes of Oenoanda, tr. C.W. Chilton, Oxford University Press, 1971.
- Selected Satires of Lucian, Lucian, tr. L. Casson, Norton Library, 1962.
- An Introduction to Greek Philosophy, J.V. Luce, Thames & Hudson, 1992.
- Hellenistic Philosophy 2nd edition, A.A. Long, University of California Press, 1986.
- Epicurus and His Philosophy, N.W. DeWitt, University of Minnesota Press, 1954.
- The Epicurean Tradition, Howard Jones, Routledge, 1989.
- The Atom in the History of Human Thought, Bernard Pullman, Oxford University Press, 1998.
- Philodemus in Italy, M. Gigante, tr. D. Obbink, University of Michigan Press, 1995.
- The Sculpted Word, B. Frischer, University of California Press, 1982.
- Epicurus in Lycia, Pamela Gordon, The University of Michigan Press, 1996.